Friday, September 28, 2012

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go. -Dr. Seuss

There are so many things in my life that I have been so grateful for. By appreciating the little things on my travels in Spain and Europe I hope to keep sight of how blessed I have been and am. From the funny futuristic gun sounds that the traffic lights make when it's time to cross the street to the old historic buildings that have more to say than anything in the United States ever could for the sheer fact that they have been around longer to see more things. Everyday on my way to the center for class I pass by some of the oldest buildings in Sevilla, Spain. That's amazing! Not only am I in Spain studying a language, that one day I hope to speak fluently (crossed fingers!) but I get to go past some of the most beautiful scenery in the city on just my daily route. It never ceases to amaze me how much God has blessed me on this trip.

Last Friday I went to a bull fight in Sevilla as well. I mainly went because I knew and respected the cultural aspect of the bull fight for the Spaniards and wanted to personally experience this myself. My program here, CC-CS, offered tickets for a bull fight at the Plaza de Toros De Sevilla for only 12 euros so I jumped on the opportunity.

Honestly I cannot say that I enjoyed it but it wasn't so much that it upset me. In general I don't tend to have a weak stomach and this held true on this adventure as well.  However, I can argue for and against the bull fights here in Spain. WARNING: THE NEXT 3 PARAGRAPHS ARE DETAILED ON THE FIGHTS AND IF YOU HAVE A WEEK STOMACH MIGHT WANT TO SKIP THEM!!!



On one hand, before the bull fight the bulls have the best life possible for a bull. They live in green pastures and life is made easy for them. essentially they are pampered up until the fight. After the bulls have been killed in the fight every part of the bull is used for something. From their horns to their hooves, the Spanish people conserve the bull. Without the bull fights toros would have become extent a long time ago, the only reason they have been preserved is for the purpose of the fight. To clarify, toros are a specific breed of bull that only exist in Spain. In the eyes of a Spaniard bull fighting is not a sport but more of an art. The matadors must do everything precisely or their lives and the torment of the bull are at threat.

On that note, the toro only dies if the matador stabs him in the back of the neck in just the right spot to sever the spinal cord and cause instantaneous death. But, as is the case with many new matadors, if they are not skilled enough and miss the mark over and over the bull will suffer. This is when if the torro is down they will approach it to stab it in the correct place to make sure it does not suffer. The bulls do not stand a chance however going into the fight because right before they are released into the arena they are stabbed in the back so they come out confused. Then there are several matadors that have the bull chase then to wear down his energy. Men riding horses, that are heavily covered in armor (you can guess why the horses need armor) and have been blinded so they do not run when they see the bull, have long spears that they use to stab the bull when it charges the horses.

Then before the actually matador and bull start the show, three other matadors come out with decorative spears and stab the bulls in the back with them and they remain in the bull the rest of the fight. Finally the matador comes out with a red cape and begins the fight. He times it just right, or whenever he feels like it, and attempts to stab the bull behind the neck. I say attempt because he does not always succeed. Then more matadors rush out and back him into a corner and proceed to try and find the mark. After the bull has been killed three mules come out decorated and the bulls body is attached to a harness and drug out of the arena. I stayed for three or four of these fights and then decided I had seen enough, simply cause it was the same thing over and over and I had no desire to sit and watch more when I could go to mi casa and relax before supper a bit. All in all, I can see it as an art and appreciate the cultural aspect of the bull fight.

That night I went out with my friends intercambio, Spanish speaking partner, to a couple of discotechas near the river. Going out with our Spanish friends is a great way to improve our Spanish skills and help them improve their English. In Spain the cultural dynamics of going out are completely different than in America. This has been something that I am still getting accustomed to myself. Basically, night in Spain doesn't start until about 11 or 12 at night. Afternoon lasts from about 2 or 3 and goes until 11 or 12PM. So we were out until about 4 in the morning and my American friend, Sam, and I were so tried at this point that we were barely awake but the Spaniards were still going hard. We decided it was time to head home since we lived on the other side of the city, but I'm pretty sure when we left our friends just went to another club! Nights when I don't go out because I want to study or just sleep, which is often, my senora always wonders why.

The next day I slept in as much as sleeping in is in Spain, until 11AM.  When I woke up my senora had coffee for me for the first time, which gave me the impression she thought I was hungover (to clarify I was not), but I was happy I had coffee for free for one! People in Spain can stay out so late because of siestas. This is a designated time of the day, from about 2-6, when most (I say most cause in the touristy parts of the city some shops stay open), all the shops and restaurants close down. In my casa we eat lunch between 2 and 3 everyday and supper between 9 and 10. Most people, like me, take suenos (naps) during siesta time and it is glorious.

When I finished my nap on Saturday I decided to see if my friend wanted to go to the Plaza de Espana with me for about an hour since I had not been before. She jumped on the opportunity to go again, once I got there I understood why. The night before Lola and Javier and told us a fun fact about the Plaza, scenes from Star Wars had been filmed there! So before I went I looked up some pictures and sure enough it was true! This added another level of excitement to my visit. I was not disappointed in my visit. The Plaza de Espana was beautiful and completely breath taking at times. While we walked around we say three different wedding parties taking pictures here which made me think of new lives starting together and making a new home separate from what one has known before.

For my friends back home that have kept in touch with me while I'm away they know how much of a struggle the previous week and even that weekend had been for me. It was Homecoming week back at Georgetown College and I felt that I was missing out on so much. I was excited for the fun and excitement my friends were having but couldn't help but to long for home and the people there that week. I know this may sound silly since I'm on the adventure of a lifetime here in Spain, but one can't help but to long for where the friends that have become like family are. My friends and experiences here have been amazing and I don't want to wish them away so quickly without taking time to appreciate them. Missing those from home and feeling unmissed at times is something new to me. I've never been home sick per say in all of my travels before. Granted, this is possibly the longest I've been away from people I care so dearly for.

All of this reflection has led me to concentrate the thoughts that maybe I was placed here, aside from the obvious to learn a language that I hope to use for greater purposes, to focus on the One who has always promised an eternal home for me. I know when I return to my home in the great bluegrass state those who care for me will welcome me with open arms and I am excited about that reunion. While I love Spain and can make any place my home, no matter where I am in the world there will always be other places and people I long for. Even upon my return to my state I will miss things from Europe and even things from other states. But missing things isn't always a bad thing, I believe it means you appreciate what you had when you had it and if the opportunity arises again where you can experience it again you know it will be just as good as the first time.

For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. -2 Corinthians 5:1

No comments:

Post a Comment