Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Three Cities in Spain

This post will not be very long but I wanted to give notice to a weekend trip that I took with my program. It was an overnight trip that took us to three separate cities in the Extremadura region, this is equivalent to a separate state in the USA, of Spain. We only spent one night in the second city but we actually were able to see a lot of different things.

The first day we left early in the morning and headed to Mérida  This is the city that had the large Roman ruins. We walked around the amphitheater and were given a tour by a professor in our program. Then we went to a museum that held the fine artifacts that were found when they were unearthing the ruins. Ironically enough, when they were building the museum they found more ruins underneath them that included a burial ground. We were able to go down and see this area as well. I´ve always found history very interesting so to finally see actual things that I have studied about is a surreal experience.

We ate lunch in Merida and I had had my Señora make my a sandwich to take with me. It turned out to be a tortilla (eggs and potatoe) sandwich. But I wanted some warm food so when my friends went to a restaurant I went with them. I ordered a tortilla as well because looking at the price I thought that it wouldn´t be very big. Boy was I wrong! I ended up giving a lot of it to my friends as well cause it was impossible to finish. After lunch we headed out to the next city, Caceres. We had a few free hours when we arrived at the hotel because this was the city we were spending the night in.

Next, we took a tour of the older part of the city that held the Midevil houses. Once again it was great to gain some history and see things I would never have the chance to in the USA. We heaeded back to the hotel after the tour and it was already dark at this point. So I didn´t get very many good photos from this tour because I don´t have a very steady hand for taking night time photos. Our group ate supper at the hotel, and let me just say that it was amazing. Granted it felt like we were starving at this poijn but that didn´t matter. We had a wonderful soup first, followed by a fried chicken with french fries (spaniards always think Americans love french fries), and even had ice cream cake for desert. That night we went out in the city to check things out.


The next morning we got up early to go to Trujillo because it was a good hour and a half away. Once again it was an amazing city. It was so tiny and cute. We talked about the church and some nuns even sold some sweets to some of us. Then we made it to the top of the city where the castle rested. From there I had a great view of the entire city anf a lot of the country side with the mountains in the background. The castle was nothing like I thought it would be. It was smallish, and we were able to walk around the top of the barrier and I got some great photos. The view was so green from what I´d become acustomed to in Sevilla. Sevilla is farther south and more dessert like and the Extremdura region is in the mountains and slightly further north. Overall it was a good trip and a chance to see things I might not have been able to otherwise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment